Monday, October 29, 2012

Yes, we are married!

There are so many new people in the Basin now, we forget not everyone knows our story.  I have heard "You guys are married???" quite a bit lately.  So I have decided to clear that up.  Yes, Mike and I have been married for 22 years.  We have had two children together literally "on the air" in both cases.  And no, it is not always a picnic working with your spouse.

Mike and I started as radio partners 24 years ago, so we have always worked together.  That helps...some.  Morning radio is a lifestyle.  We get up at 4:15 every morning.  No matter how long you do this job, you never "get used" to 4:15 in the morning!  By 5pm, we are exhausted but with kids there is no going to bed early!  And now that our kids are grown, we feel cheated if we go to bed before 10.  What this adds up to is that by Friday, we are so sleep deprived I have quite literally stood at the check out at HEB trying to remember how to write a check!

So, what happens when we wake up in a bad mood?  Because I assure you it happens!  Fortunately, it rarely happens that we are both in a bad mood at the same time so we can usually work through it.  And doing the show in the morning is almost always so much fun a bad mood doesn't last long.  Do we fight?  Oh yes!  Do we embarass our children.  Absolutely.  We had to really pull back on talking too much about them when Rachel was 12 and Mike talked about going bra shopping with her.  OMG did I hear about THAT from her!  And rightfully so.  But we also brag about them all the time as well. And they always inspire us.

On the personal side of marriage with "Oh he must just keep you in stitches" Mike Lawrence...no, life is not always hilarious with him.  But he is the most thoughtful, selfless, ethical and generous person I have ever known.  A father who is not afraid to BE a father and a husband who never forgets the little things like fixing my coffee just the way I like it and making me breakfast every Saturday and Sunday morning.  We have a deep, abiding trust in each other that we have developed over years of being so public with our lives.  We hope our listeners have that same trust in us.  We value that above all things when we do our show for you.  Even if we are too sleep-deprived to remember your names.

 

1 comment:

  1. As best I can figure, I have taken a shower, brushed my teeth and combed my hair with you two about 6,000 times. I've been listening since day one.
    I'm amazed that you have not moved to a bigger market. I know you must have had many chances to make more money because the many awards have validated what we here in West Texas know... you are the best in morning radio. (I know you have the national awards to prove it.)

    Many times I have wondered how two people could work through the inevitable not-so-great-times without it being obvious to your listeners. Although I still don't know HOW you do it, it was fun to read your admission that it happens.

    Without you two my day would be missing a spark so Thank You for your many years of entertainment and for making a positive impact on the people of West Texas in so many ways.

    As I approach my 60th orbit around the sun I can only hope you two will stick around for many more years.

    ReplyDelete