Tuesday, December 11, 2012

We Must Have Done Something Right

As we get closer to Christmas this year I have realized that the excitement for the holiday has come full circle.  When we were young, we would get excited to a fever pitch for the presents under the tree and what Santa would bring.  Now we get excited about just having our family together again.

And the best feeling is that they are just as excited about coming home!  We hear from Eric at least twice a day as his trip home approaches.  He and Lilly are coming in from Fort Riley, Kansas on Saturday and we are beside ourselves with excitement.  But our little homesick soldier is even more so.  He texted me the other day saying, "It is 26 degrees at troop with a wind chill of 3.  It's moments like this that I think in a few days I'll be at the cabin with a hot toddie and a fire, family and a movie.  It's the little things y'all have done for me that get me through the hardest moments in my job."  Wow.  Made me cry.

I also love that our oldest son Adam would rather be at the cabin with us for Christmas than anywhere else.  We understand that once you marry you have to split your Christmases with your spouses family.  Fortunately, Sara's family has a cabin in Ruidoso which makes it easier for them to spend time with two families. I thank her for being generous enough to share time with us every Christmas.  I know that some years that has been a struggle and we appreciate her sweet thoughtfulness and her family for sharing her with us.

All those years we decorated the tree, put the snow villiages up, cooked and baked and felt un-appreciated through it all...we must have done something right.  For you mom's and dad's out there...keep doing what you are doing to build traditions and joy and family time with your children and they will always want to come home.  And remember, it isn't what is under the Christmas tree that matters to them as they get older.  It is what you do around the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment