Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Finding A Treasure

Mike and I used to go "junking" a lot.  We loved finding "just the thing" for this room or that room.  However, we now have two homes stuffed with furniture so we stopped.  Yesterday, we got a wild hair and went over to Habitat Restore to see if there was something we could rescue.  I love Restore.  If you want cabinet hardware, sinks, doors, shutters, tile, etc. it is the place to visit!!  However, it was like re-visiting my past through decorating.  Lots of pinks, greens, taupe and plaid.  It made me realize how completely colors, metals, woods, countertops and appliance colors go out of style.  There were a lot of gold lighting fixtures as the style now is brushed nickel or bronze.  Someday, they will also be out of style.

Anyway, we moved on to Joseph's at Wadley and Midkiff.  I have collected Fiesta Ware for over 20 years and I am always looking.  Joseph had some pieces there that I thought were mythical.  Sometimes it is enough to just go and look at beautiful things from the past.  Fiesta does for me exactly what it was designed to do during the Great Depression.  It cheers me up.  The colors and design are so bright and fun you can't help but smile when you see it. 

Then we spotted an old cedar chest we thought we could use as a blanket chest.  It was a real find at a great price and we snapped it up.  It is just a simple cedar chest from the 40's that needs a little love but will always be more special than something new.  The best part is that Mike and I went somewhere other than Wal-Mart together.  It was fun to go looking for a treasure together and finding one we both loved.  Hopefully, when we get it to the cabin, we won't have to carry it up the mountain...

No comments:

Post a Comment