Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Dream Come True

It was Memorial Day weekend, 2004, when Mike and I saw the cabin for the first time.  I was born and mostly raised in Colorado.  I had always dreamed of a mountain home. A cabin like my grandmother's in northern Colorado (only with indoor plumbing!)  My mother and I had been looking in the Cloudcroft, NM area for awhile with a great agent, Donna, but had not found one that was exactly right.  I wanted a cabin that looked like a cabin!

When we got out of the car and stood looking at what was to become our mountain home, we heard a voice from inside say, "Hold on a minute, let me put my pants on!"  I think that is what sold Mike on the spot.  I just know he was thinking "At last, a place where I can sit around without my pants if I want to!"

From the outside it looked rustic!  Rough log sided, stone steps leading up to the door, a great big deck, lots of windows and built into the side of the mountain.  I loved it.  Inside, however, it looked like 1969.
Lime green indoor-outdoor carpet, lime green linoleum floor in the kitchen, lime green macrame blinds on the windows. Wow, it was ugly!  Then we started to notice that all the outside corners in the cabin were clad in stripped and varnished pine logs. The walls were red fir. The living room had windows on 3 sides. It had a loft that could fit 3 queen sized beds and was equipped with a half bath!  Wow, it was great!

Over the years, it has become the place where we have gathered as a family and spent terrific holidays.  It is where we have grown closer to our children and each other.  It is where we feed deer, watch movies, and sleep with all our children under the same roof at least once a year.  It is where I sought refuge to cry for 48 straight hours alone when my mother was in the hospital for 9 weeks with pancreatic cancer.  And again when she was going through chemo and radiation for throat cancer a few years ago.  It is where we can always find peace, joy and love.  It is a dream come true.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment