Friday, November 9, 2012

Wisdom From Our Soldier.

Okay, I will admit that I did not vote for this President.  But that does not mean he is not my son's Commander In Chief as he reminded us all in a Facebook post after election day.  His words reminded me again of what he is doing and how committed he is to his United States Of America! 

Eric is a member of the 4-4 Cavalry at Fort Riley, Kansas, a part of the 1st Infantry Division "The Big Red 1".  And he (and fellow soldiers fighting for our country) reminded me of a few things we tend to forget when we get caught up in who won and who lost.  Eric said, and I am paraphrasing here:

"Before you start saying things like "America is doomed" you need to think about those who are currently fighting for America every day in places like Afghanistan.  You diminish what the American Soldier is doing every day to make sure you are safe in America.  I get paid very little to get up every morning, very early, and go to bed very late (if at all) to do what my country asks of me.  This county has survived lots of hard times, yet we always pull through!  You need to have the same faith in America that we do.  I will give my life to defend America from all enemies, foreign and domestic.  All we ask is that you continue to be as proud of this country as we who serve it are!"  Wow, busted!

This Sunday is Veterans Day and another American has asked that we "recognize the valor and sacrifice of our veterans" on that day.  "Their sacrifices have helped secure more than two centuries of American progress, and their legacy affirms that no matter what confronts us or what trials we face, there is no challenge we cannot overcome, and our best days are still ahead.  On days like this, we are called to reflect on immeasurable burdens that have been borne by so few.  We pay tribute to our wounded, our missing, our fallen and their families - men and women who have known the true costs of conflict and deserve our deepest respect, now and forever."- President Obama. 

So, my soon-to-be 21 year old son, a proud American, taught me something about citizenship.  Thank you for the reminder Eric. And thank you to all our veterans and those who are serving now.  I am a proud American.  And am always, the proud mother of an American Soldier!

No comments:

Post a Comment