Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Thank God for the Holidays!!

I think it is so amazing that God creates "Those Who Love Christmas", "Those Who Tolerate Christmas" and, of course, "Those Who Would Rather Sleep Through Christmas."

I am a lover of all things Christmas!  It is not because of the special Christmases I had as a child, because they weren't.  My mom tried, God knows.  But she is a "tolerator" and not a "lover" of the Holidays.  She did what she had to, but not with real enthusiasm.  So when I was about 8 or 9 I took over!  I decorated the tree, house, wrapped nearly all the presents (except my own) baked the cookies, etc.  I LOVED "White Christmas" and "Holiday Inn".  I still do.

When we decided on colors for the cabin...I chose red and green!  I have green kitchen cabinets and red dishes.  I have red and green chairs around the big pine table.  I think you get the idea.  I don't dare go into Hobby Lobby before December because I will spend an entire paycheck in there by September 15th!

 All Christmas decorating is done at the cabin.  We learned years ago that we cannot have a tree here in town because we have 5 cats.  Cats who love to climb trees.  The snow villiages go up at the beginning of November. Then we go out every year on Thanksgiving day and hunt down the "perfect" Christmas tree to cut down.  And decorating madness takes me over while my family watches in bewildered amazement (or amusement...I am still not sure).

These days, as our children leave our nest one by one, Christmas means so much more then it ever has.  It means our oldest son Adam, and our lovely daughter in law Sara (who live in Fort Worth) come home.  Our soldier Eric and his new bride Lilly are coming in from Fort Riley, Kansas for two weeks!  We will go sledding, and play games, and watch Christmas movies, and laugh, and eat.  And all my babies will sleep under the same roof with us for a few sweet days.  These are the Christmases I dreamed of when I was a girl.  This is Peace and Joy!  Thank you Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment