Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Mommy Mirror

   You gotta have more than one child.  I have three and each one makes me see myself differently.  Martina McBride did a great song called "In My Daughter's Eyes" which touched on how your reflection in your child's eyes can really affect how you see yourself. 

   My oldest son, Adam, makes me feel fun, interesting, and cool.  He has my sense of humor, my eyes, and my love of learning new things every day.  My middle child, Eric, makes me feel lucky.  Lucky that he survived his touch and go birth and the days following.  Lucky that, in the years that followed, I did not kill him.  Lucky that he still has such a sweet spirit.  Also, he makes me feel patriotic and American.  He IS an "All American Boy" in the best sense of that expression.

   In my daughter's eyes I see a mother.  Hopelessly un-cool and technically challenged, dorky and sometimes embarrassing.  But also someone who went through the same feelings, fears, heartbreaks, and joys that she is going through now.  The "Mommy Mirror" is brutal...but it is also so sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment